Green Carpet Cleaning Products to Use
Stains and spills are an inevitable part of homeownership but you don’t have to use noxious chemicals to resolve these accidents. There is a growing number of natural and eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions that are powerful to remove any stain without relying on harsh synthetic compounds. A number of concoctions can be made from everyday kitchen products as well as green carpet products that can be purchased. A small spill is no reason to resort to harsh chemicals and by utilizing these suggestions, you can have a clean carpet and a healthy home.
- Dishwashing Soap: Dishwashing soap is an ubiquitous product that has applications extending far beyond the confines of the kitchen. The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends trying a mixture of ¼ teaspoon dishwashing liquid and 1 cup water before resorting to other cleaning methods. Dishwashing soap will cause the oils in the stain to break down while posing no threat to the health of your carpeting.
- Vinegar: A mixture of vinegar works great for pet stains and can neutralize offensive odors while breaking down the contaminates. Simply use a ratio of 1 tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water and gently dab on the carpet’s surface.
- Baking Soda: This household panacea works great for carpets as well. It is most effective when mixed with vinegar, triggering the volcano reaction that we all remember from elementary school. The combination of these compounds is a powerful cleaning agent but the order of application is important for the best results. First soak the stain in the vinegar solution described above, then sprinkle baking soda over the entire surface area of the stain. You should see some mild bubbling and sense the odor of vinegar while the reaction takes place. Once it is dry, the vinegar smell will dissipate and simply run your vacuum to collect any additional baking soda.
- Berleys Best: This environmentally responsible solution effectively removes pet odors and stains while leaving behind a fresh scent. This product is safe for use around children and animals, contains no alcohol, is non-toxic and biodegradable. Additionally, out of concern for the environment, the bottle doesn’t use damaging aerosols and is recyclable. Check out their website to order some!
- Better Life: This environmentally conscious cleaning supply company, offers products to be applied everywhere in the home. Their Natural Stain and Odor Eliminator is incredibly powerful and can remove dirt and neutralize odors with a single application. All of the ingredients are listed on the Better Life website, and it does not contain any, Parabens, ethers, synthetic fragrances, alcohol, or dyes. It is primarily plant based and all natural. Finally, Better Life is committed to our environment and uses renewable energy to produce its wonderful products.
Whether you decide to use your own concoction based on common household materials, or opt for a store product, there are many ways to keep your carpet clean without relying on dangerous chemicals that harm the environment. Whatever your strategy is, always remember to deal with messes quickly and thoroughly to prevent them from spreading or becoming deeply ingrained into your carpet. And when there are stains too persistent for these methods, give Steam Pro a call. Our experienced carpet cleaners have the knowledge and resources to eliminate any stain effectively and safely.